28 April 2006

Why the hype over the NFL draft? (I'm talkin' to you, ESPN!)

I just don't get it...why all the hype over the NFL draft? Every time I turn on ESPN these days (or cruise most sports websites), I see one of the NFL draft "experts" droning on about how this or that will affect so-and-so's standing. I think there is more analysis of this thing than there is on who is going to win the NCAA hoops tourney or the Super Bowl.

I understand that fans would like to see whom their teams are going to take. Heck, I'm interested in who Dallas is going to get. But c'mon, my life doesn't stop every time I read that they may take Dante Whitner or Marcus Macneil or Bobby Carpenter (didn't he play for the Washington Capitals?).

Each of these analysts thinks he is best one at knowing what each team needs and why. But they aren't privy to the front office discussions and don't have access to all the data and film these guys (the team guys) get. But, oh, no! The analysts are sure.

Almost any idiot can predict the top ten or fifteen guys. Who cares where they go? Sure the fans do. But I could probably make a case for Vince Young being picked by the Seahawks. It's called a TRADE!

Plus, I don't see any incentive for any of these people to be right. If they were talking about the above-mentioned NCAA's or Super Bowl (or the World Series or, hey, even the World Cup) people could make money on this stuff. Is there really a market for people gambling on the NFL draft? But what has being correct have to do with anything? Nothing about nothing!

Don't get me wrong. The actual draft can be pretty exciting to watch live. Anyone remember the team that missed two picks in a row due to slowness? And there's always the: "...and the number five pick has been traded to XYZ". No one knows what can happen. It's riveting TV. It's just the droning of these "experts" that gets me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home