17 April 2006

Why play sports? One word: Gear!

Why do we play sports? Some play because of the competition. Some for the exercise. Some for the fun of it. Some people like the camaraderie and some like to be outside. Some do it for the chicks (or the men).

I play sports because of one word: GEAR!

I am not a materialistic man; I do not have the need to buy or have tons of things. Other people need the latest and greatest of everything—a big house, HDTV, cars, women, men, pools, art, etc. All I need is my gear.

What makes sports fun for me is all the stuff you can get. Sometimes you need certain gear (like a tennis racquet or a basketball) in order to play. There are also some extraneous items you carry around: do you really need 3 racquets or 2 baseball gloves or 4 different wedges in your golf bag?

I usually don’t go crazy and get every little thing for every sport, but then again, I play (or have played, at least) many different sports. So I’ve accumulated my share of gear over the years.

The ultimate gear sport, to me, is rock climbing. Ropes, harnesses, carabiners (‘biners), shoes, chalk, cams, straps, backpacks, etc. It’s a gear maniac’s paradise. Camping comes a close second for gear.

Fishing is right up there. You really only need a decent pole, some string (that’s what I call fishing line), a decent reel and some bait or a lure and you are set. I got my initial set up for about 50 bucks. But then I realized I needed (wanted, really) a better reel. More tackle was a must, because I kept losing it in the rocks. When I got better, that meant I needed (wanted) better line. Different weights for different conditions. Tools: needle-nose pliers are a must. The I needed a head lamp. It just goes on and on.

Some of the sports I have gear for:

Tennis: Couple of racquets and some cans of balls
Racquetball: See tennis
Skiing: Skis, boots, poles, coat, gloves, goggles
Golf: Clubs, bag, balls, shoes
Volleyball: Beach ball, indoor ball, shoes (yes, they make volleyball shoes)
Lacrosse: Couple of sticks, balls, cleats
Baseball: Glove, batters gloves, arm bands, eye black, bat, spikes, cleats
Softball: Much the same as baseball, but different bats and cleats
Flag football: Cleats
Basketball: ball, sneakers
Weight lifting: Wrist bands, lifting straps, belt, water bottles
Mountain biking: Bike, toe clips, helmet, water bottle
Hockey: Sticks, pants, shoulder pads, elbow pads, skates (ice and street), shin guards, gloves, helmet, pucks and balls.

Sometimes I feel like Carrie on Sex and the City in that I have different shoes for, like, everything I do. A selection of my footwear (and then I’ll sign off for today):

Golf spikes, rock climbing shoes, lacrosse cleats, softball cleats, baseball cleats, baseball spikes, football cleats, volleyball sneakers, tennis sneakers, cross trainers, trail running shoes, street running shoes, (used to have) clipless mountain bike shoes, rollerblades, hockey rollerblades, ice hockey skates, hiking boots, sandals, ski boots, soccer cleats.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home